Why study with Education Development Trust?
When you join one of our NPQ programmes, you will be working with a consortium of organisations who bring significant knowledge, expertise, and experience with them. We are an international charity with a deep commitment to our mission of transforming life chances by improving education and we pride ourselves on our reputation for high-quality, school-led, and exceptionally well-managed professional development programmes for teachers and leaders.
1. We design content with schools and expert organisations to ensure our programmes have real impact
We are working in partnership with internationally recognised experts from Sheffield Hallam University’s Institute of Education and Evidence Based Education, who bring evidence and rigour to our NPQ programmes. Our national network of school delivery partners play an equally important role, ensuring that the content we create is deeply rooted in an understanding of what is needed in real schools, right now. Whatever your context, this combination of expertise from the classroom and beyond will challenge and support your growth as an educator, helping you to develop your leadership skills and continue to transform children’s life chances in your work.
2. Our programmes are carefully designed to support your learning
For each qualification, we use a common methodology to develop and nurture your existing expertise and capabilities.
Each of our NPQ programmes includes:
- an introduction and diagnostic assessment to scaffold and frame your learning, identify gaps in your knowledge and direct you to the areas that are most relevant to you
- tutor support sessions, led by a local lead trainer which will provide you with opportunities to bring your learning into context and collaborate and network with peers
- lots of online evidence and examples to introduce you to key ideas and demonstrate how you could implement these concepts
- a micro implementation task to reinforce the overall approach to managing improvement and prepare you for the summative assessment
- face-to-face and live online training where together with your peers you will learn through expert-led dialogue, collaborative activities, and structured practice of new techniques
- a formative assessment activity to check your understanding and confidence, signpost you towards further learning and provide feedback that’s individual to you
3. Our NPQs approach is underpinned by five key principles:
1. Teachers learn like everyone else: we provide materials, tutoring and coaching that combine evidence-based learning approaches with empowering routines and deliberate practice to help you embed what is being learned.
2. Collaboration is a pre-condition for professional learning: our teaching model provides a supportive environment for the essential sharing of ideas and challenging of beliefs.
3. Making change stick takes knowledge, skill, time, and concerted effort: our focus is on putting theory into action with and through others, ensuring that whatever your leadership level or context, you understand precisely how professional development can create sustained impact.
4. Meaningful, relevant, and applicable learning is vital: our programmes focus on immediately recognisable situations, allowing you to understand the practices and thinking of expert leaders, creating the crucial mental models to self-monitor and improve.
5. Effective professional development is sustained over time and habit-forming: we understand that the success of everything we do relies on accessible and flexible options, with courses that sensitively accommodate your existing workload, timetabling constraints and the busiest times in the school calendar.