Early Headship Coaching Offer
Our Early Headship Coaching Offer (EHCO) is tailored to your needs and is suitable for any headteacher in their first five years of headship who has either previously completed an NPQH, is currently studying an NPQH, or would like to study both the NPQH and EHCO concurrently.
Becoming a headteacher is both a massive achievement and an exciting opportunity. It also comes with a raft of new responsibilities – these include not just striving for excellence and best practice, but a responsibility to recognise the challenges that come with the role and consider your own professional and personal needs.
Our Early Headship Coaching Offer addresses the complexities of headship and will help you navigate your first years in the role, ensuring that you are equipped to flourish throughout your career as a headteacher.
The programme is built around three core strands which will help you to face the challenges of new headship:
- Apply . We will help you to apply what you already know and what you learn from the NPQH in a sustainable, creative and practical way. We will match you with two more new headteachers to embed support and peer review. You will visit each other’s schools to observe and provide follow up feedback and take part in peer review conversations. We know from our extensive experience that peer review is a powerful tool to help new headteachers hone their skills and sustain them going forward.
- Thrive. Being a headteacher brings new and unforeseen challenges. Never has this been more true than over the last two years. However these challenges provide opportunities to test yourself, grow personally and professionally and embed a robust and excellent culture in your school. We will introduce you to the practice of collaborative problem solving, learning how to involve others in tackling challenges and making sure everyone feels part of the process.
- Sustain. This strand will help you cultivate the qualities you need to support you in leading for a lifetime, able to take care of yourself and others. As a new headteacher you may be inclined to put your own personal needs last, we will teach you and encourage you to honour your needs to benefit not just yourself but your entire school community.
This programme offers you:
- local mini-groupings that will help you to establish relationships and foster networks
- a bespoke online diagnostic survey assessing your strengths, confidence and development needs
- an enhanced Community of Practice led by experienced serving headteachers
- face-to-face sessions providing guided professional dialogue and additional mentoring support.
- enhanced collaboration opportunities through shadowing and online spaces for resource sharing and chat.
- a local peer review trio supporting the application of NPQH knowledge in own-school contexts.
Mode of delivery: 10 sessions of 3 hours each - 30 hours in total across the academic year.
Cost: £800 (full funding is available for eligible participants)
EHCO funding eligibility
You are eligible for this targeted support package if you meet the following criteria:
- are in your first five years of headship
- work in a state-funded school in England upon starting the training
- have either completed an NPQH before taking up your first headship post or are currently taking the NPQH
- have not withdrawn from the additional support programme previously
All eligible places on this programme are fully funded by the Department for Education at a cost of £800 per participant.